Tuesday, January 8, 2013

A Stranger's Story - Day 2


Your name is Kitty.

I pulled up to the Starbucks parking lot. You had the hood of your rusty, old car propped up - like a giant, open mouth awaiting surgery.

I was sure that the truck parked in front of you was in a position to assist you. But the big, burly man within the rumbling vehicle decided to back up and zoom off to some unknown destination.

How strange....that a man wouldn't bother to assist an older, stranded lady and her sad-looking machine.

So I made the decision- right then and there-to back up my little car and pull up in front of you. I hopped out into the icy air and rushed to the drivers side where you were sitting.

If I remember correctly, you were wearing a big, cozy sweater. It was baby blue, and a large Tweety Bird smiled back at me.

Can birds even smile?

You seemed so sweet, but quite distressed.

"Hey there, you need any help?"

"Oh, yes i do! My car died; i have jumper cables, but i just need someone to help me out."

"Well I would love to help! I'll pop my hood."

The look on your face was indescribable. You looked shocked that I was willing to help. You you looked so relieved.

That look on your face has been the best part of my day.

I can't even explain how wonderful it felt to help you. I got everything all hooked up, but it wouldn't start. I wasn't about to give up so soon.

We decided to give my jumper cables a go - yours were honestly pretty rusty. Perhaps it was fitting for your cables to match your car?

Once I hooked everything up again, we tried to bring your little car to life.
You poked your head out your door and gave me a thumbs up.

We both smiled.

As we got cables unhooked and hoods closed, you continued to thank me. Over and over again. You said it can be so hard to find young people who are willing to help.

This terrible fact saddened me. It weighed on my heart so very heavily. How is it that our generation has come to this?

Regardless of the pain your statement brought, I was absolutely overjoyed at the opportunity to help you. Before we parted ways, you said God bless.

We hugged.

This marks the second day I've received a hug from a stranger..... I think I could get used to this.

No comments:

Post a Comment