Sunday, January 13, 2013

A Stranger's Story - Day 7

I see you now and then.

    Normally when I'm working in the cafe on a Wednesday night. Yet I always seem to forget your name, and I really wish I could remember.

I like you, I really do. You're always so kind. And you like your coffee drenched in loads of caramel syrup.

I really like caramel, too. I guess that means we have something in common.

Today was pretty normal. You came up to the counter as do all other customers. Well, once in a while some first-timers go to the "Pick Up" side. Then we kindly direct them to the correct counter. Sometimes we roll our eyes. That's not very nice, but it happens.

  Anyways.

You came to the correct counter and ordered your usual. But rather than walking over to the other side to pick up your drink, you stopped right in front of me. You rested your chin on the high counter top and watched me pour sugary substances into a paper cup.

At first I didn't notice you, but when I looked up.... I smiled.

I expected you to return the facial gesture like usual, and you did. But it wasn't genuine.

                    It was forced.

I asked you how you were doing. You just looked down and shook your head.

I knew you've been ill for quite some time. So I thought perhaps you just weren't feeling well.

                 

                     And then you started to cry.



   It took me off guard. But I followed my impulse.

I set down everything in my hands and ran out from behind the counter. Honestly, I disregarded the line of drinks I was working on. Perhaps I frustrated the others working by just randomly leaving. But it was all so worth it.

So I came to you and I hugged you.

There I was, in the middle of a crowd of people awaiting caffeinated beverages, holding an older lady while she cried.

When you released your embrace, you told me you had just found out your grandson had died. That's all you said. And you looked into my eyes with a look of "why?".

I had nothing to say that could heal the pain... such a fresh wound, still bleeding and throbbing. It wasn't time for a bandage yet.

My heart nearly stopped and tears began to well up in my own eyes. So I did what I could, and I asked if I could just pray for you.

I prayed that God would bring you comfort, and help you through this difficult time. As much as I believe that He will, it still tore me up inside to see you go through this.

I'm so sorry.

I really wish I could remember your name.

No comments:

Post a Comment